71st District Court
200 West Houston
Court Administrator: Leslie
For Pro Bono Legal Assistance
Parents of children under the age of 18 must attend a "Kid's Sake" program before the divorce will be granted. Attach a Kid's Sake Order to the Petition for Divorce to be served on the Respondent. These programs are now widely available. It is acceptable to attend such a program in another county. Proof of attendance of both parties must be filed with the court before a final hearing is set.
1. If a jury case, make
sure the jury fee has been paid.
2. Consult with opposing counsel about possible agreed setting.
3. If a jury case, select the jury week you wish to request.
4. Submit by mail or fax a Request for Setting form.
5. Notify opposing counsel of your request.
6. You will receive a confirmation of setting from court.
Uncontested Final Hearings
1. If no record is
required, any uncontested case may be heard Tuesday through Friday between 8:30
and 9:00 a.m. If a record is needed, the matter may be heard between 1:00 and
2. If neither of these times are suitable, contact Ann Eads for a setting.
What number is my
case on the trial docket?
See the Jury Trial Docket.
How do I know what
my odds are of being reached?
Your odds are very good, no matter how far down the list you are.
counsel and I agree to a continuance?
If the case is on the jury trial docket, only with the consent of the court.
Do I have to
appear at Docket Calls?
Yes, unless your case already has a scheduling order with a trial setting.